Ryan,

Sure they are frowned upon, but what option do you have? I always resort to
a solution that involves javascript - CSS alone just doesn't work in IE6:
Dropdowns/flyouts will show appear under select boxes - this is a big issue
in IE6 and no amount of css (even hacks) can get around this in that
browser. Oh and besides, it doesnt even support :hover css attributes for
anything other than an anchor tag...

If you could guarantee that IE7 was used by everyone, at least them we could
have CSS only solutions.

Frankly, I hate drop down menus. They are unnecessary on most standard
websites. Jame's work on UDM is probably the most accessible and functional
ones out there - they cost, but he's a nice bloke so its worth it if you are
doing something professionally with them.

Karl