So basically what your trying to say is that branding is the least important
part
of the page, so place it in a <p> ?

That is incorrect. Lets say you have:

Earth Consultants
Free Housing and Enviroment Advice

Between your <title> tags your likley to place something like:

<title>Earth Consultants - Free Housing and Enviroment Advice</title>

So using H1 you are saying that your page title is the most important
heading
on that page. In some cases this might not be the case but most the time it
is the case. So lets get back to the first example:

Company: Earth Consultants
Logo: Yes
Tagline/Slogan: Free Housing and Enviroment Advice

You could mark it up in a couple of ways, one way is:

<h1>Earth Housing<span>Free Housing and Enviroment Advice</span></h1>
h1 {font-size: 1.4em; background: url(image/path) no-repeat; padding-left:
50px;}
h1 span {display: block; font-size: 1em}

What would be more important then that in a web document? You have the
company
name and the tagline/slogan. Other headings can use h 2,3,4 ect.