Nick Gleitzman schreef:
Sander Aarts wrote:

How can you search for a company when you don't know it exists?

How do you find out what goods a certain company sells if don't know what they are?

Sorry, Sander, but that logic escapes me. Of course I don't know what goods a certain company sells if I don't know they exist. But I know what goods I'm looking for, so that's what I'll search on.

Sometime you're not looking for goods, but just for the company/organisation.

Not always. If I want to know what campagnes Amnesty International is currently running, I don't want to search for every undemocratic country in the world.
You search for the goods or services that you want - don't you?

Not if you know how to use a search engine, no. And you're presuming that I know that Amnesty International exists - which is the whole point. What if I don't? I'd search on "human rights abuses".

Again, sometimes you want to find info about the organisation itself. And yes, that means that you already know it exists. But not all organisations have very distinctive/unique names. Some have these horrible innitials that can mean anything on the web.

You just can't tell how people are searching for information. You only know know on which keywords you defenitly want to be found. And I think that the name of the organisation is an important one (you don't want to disapoint people who already know your name).

Exactly. But I still contend that my company name, being most likely more unique than any name of goods or services that I provide, doesn't require as much semantic weight in my markup and it will *still* be easily found by those who already know I exist - but that the strongest weight is given to the name/s and description/s of what I'm offering, because *I* think that's what the majority of searchers will be looking for.

I do agree that the actual content is probably more important on a page than the company logo (I just responded to your implication that people only search for products/services). It's not the uniqueness of the company name though that makes the content more important. It's the fact that within the website it's the content that makes a page unique and not the company name.

cheers,
Sander