I would argue the case that it may be sensible to open a new window for
PDF's.  There was sufficient evidence for a UK government department I have
worked extensively with, to include this as a standard.  The rationale
behind this is simply that once presented with a PDF the user has the
experience of being in a different application, and may be inclined to
beleive that the web site had been  left behind / shut down.  This is not a
case of a floating pop up, but of course is a new tab opened in the browser,
indicating that the page launching the app is still present and available
for use

In such circumstances It is best to use transitional doc type than to get
too anally retentive about having to have a strict doc type.  The user
doesn't care a hoot about doctype, though they are very interested in the
experience and usability of a site

--
Regards

- Rob