Lisa,
    My DOCTYPE is HTML 4.01 Transitional. I'm trying to understand the
importance of strict adherence to standards as pointed out by Stuart and
David. This also includes your comments:

> 5.4 If a table is used for layout, do not use any structural markup
> for the purpose of visual formatting.

By "structural markup" were you referring to the use of <tr> and <td>
elements to give content it's intended look ?

My last response to Daniel Kendrick was mixed with long term intent. I hope
that post didn't mislead anyone here to believe that I was using tables to
control the layout of an entire page or even close to 50% of it. CSS page
layouts are sufficient for now. My dilemna was and still is to autofit an
image of any size (entire image should be viewable) within the table's
background image property using the style attribute. This "table" is
currently no more than roughly 100 pixels on either side.

I guess there were a couple of concerns raised. One of them was the
justification of the table's use. I chose it only because it is "currently"
the only way I know to put pretty borders (outer and inner) around and
within an image. The tabular elements <tr> and <td> are currently used to
position these borders appropriately, using a combination of width and
height attributes. While I'm being continously clued in by everyone's
someone to post a newer standardized approach to acheive the same effect.

David, Stuart,
    While I respect your intent, I prefer good advice to be complimented in
the technical world by sound examples. If this is the wrong forum to be
seeking such advice, please point me in the right direction.

Regards,
Matt