Thats an excellent read James, well first my name is MJ I never introduced
myself before and just jumped in discussions straight so Hi I am from London
and I work at http://www.biginteractive.co.uk/ as a frontend designer.

Now back to the matter in hand , this situation is certainly is out of the
designers / developers hand, its all up to the client and his/her target
audience , company specifications, project brief branding etc, however
developers could take that extra step to ensure quality and adherence to
available guidelines in Usability / Accessibility. But end of the day if the
client wants a specific design features which is for some reason can't be
done while ensuring guidelines kept, I think developers are obliged to keep
the client aware.

http://www.Mjama.com