Ok i think some people have missed the point a bit, but its probably my
fault.

When i said design, i was referring to the hi-end graphical content. The
sites that are
there to amaze people and go 'how did they do that' which is they way alot
of people
seem to be heading due to convention.

A client generally knows nothing about anything, he tells you what he wants
and
expects the result. This is what im talking about. The clients see sites
with some
eye candy, and want something 'better' than that. If you give them a site
that looks
like, say the microformats site (which is a perfect example of the way
websites these
days should be) then there usual reply is ('Its boring, there isnt much to
it').

I understand it is possible to create some amazing sites with usability and
accessibility
at the front of the line, but the only people that know this are people like
you and me,
again a client knows nothing and 90% of them don't care.They just want what
they
asked for. If you question why his navigation fonts are very small, his
reply is something
like ("becuase i need to fit them all on the one line so it dont look like
the navigation
is taking focus") and you cant really argue the point, because they dont
tend to listen.

I dont know what clients others have worked with, ive worked with some right
nasty
ones, they tell the designer onthe other end of the office how they want it,
if you attempt
to pick at it, they tell you there going to go elsewere, no i cant argue,
ill get the sack.

Tis why i said, if there was a law the client would have no choice.