Hey Paul,
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by defining microformats as an xml
namespace, but I do know that the microformats community uses the x2v
stylesheets as the reference implementation for many microformats, including
hcalendar and hcard. http://suda.co.uk/projects/X2V/

That's about as close to a definition of microformats in xslt as you're
likely to find. I'm certain if you look around microformats.org you'll find
xslt sheets for the other microformats as well.

In addition, I understand that it's perfectly possible to embed microformats
in an xhtml namespace in other xml formats. The impression I get is that
suda's x2v sheets will handle that as welll, but i've never tested, so I'm
likely wrong.

-Breton