From: "Tee G. Peng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Al, I am not afraid you CSS Layout Magic will put me out of job because I saw some of your customers managed to mess up your layout and I actually helped a few to clean up their messes :)

Why didn't you just say what you meant, then :-)

Not saying your extension is not good or not as good as the CSS Sculptor, besides, I am in no position to compare because I never use either of them.

What prompted me to ask this question is because, I guess, the impression I got is the way it's being advertised- "The ultimate Web standards compliant CSS layout"

I own both and prefer mine. I believe they prefer theirs. We try not to use words like "best" and certainly never use "ultimate", though "definitive" is cool so long as someone else is describing your work as such.

I see so many web designers using CSS without a bit of understanding of semantical and structural markup, and the way I see it, the way they do with the div classes is nothing different than the table layout, so I always thought extension like yours provides a good ground however, exactly like you're saying "You have to have a basic understanding of CSS and markup to use these tools to their full potential".

Yeah. Whether you get that info from our free support channels, or from lists like this one, or from people like you, it's the same thing. We make our living selling tools for Dreamweaver users and sometimes we get hammered for it in subtle and not-so-subtle ways... but we are no different from any good web developer, even the ones who assert that everything should be open source and free except for the bills they send their clients.

Guess it probably just a marketing gimmick to market an extension as "The ultimate Web standards compliant CSS layout", but I respect Eric Meyer so much (no he doesn't know my existence) that I want to believe "The ultimate Web standards compliant CSS layout" is exactly as it advertised, that it really can help many web designers to use the CSS and markup correctly, semantically and structurally. If so, I may even consider to purchase it myself to help enchance my production :)

It is a gimmick, and I do respect Eric too, but sometimes when talent meets marketing hyperbole reigns. I'm old enough to remember when one of my favorite acronyms was still fresh:

K.I.S.S.

"Keep it simple, stupid".

Web developers can sometimes over-code and web tool developers sometimes over-program.

--
Al Sparber - PVII
http://www.projectseven.com