alastair campbell wrote:

>Does the HTML working group have to take into account accessibility
guidelines?

>What I mean is, does it have to make alt mandatory because WCAG (any
>version) does?

I asked around and got some answers that may answer your question:

Charles McCathieNevile  wrote:

The answer to the question is that it has to satisfy WAI that its approach
to accessibility is reasonable and practical. As a sometime WAI member I
will be arguing that WAI is unlikely to accept anything that is a step
backwards from alt, and while it is possible to improve it the volume of
existing content and of existing guidance to use it means that it must be
supported even if there is a better approach proposed to replace it in the
future (like the case of img and object...)

Laura Carlson wrote:

The charter does say:
"The HTML Working Group will cooperate with the Web Accessibility
Initiative to ensure that the deliverables will satisfy accessibility
requirements. Coordination with WAI will be primarily conducted
through the Protocol and Formats Working Group, but direct
coordination with other WAI groups, such as Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines Working Group and User Agent Accessibility Guidelines
Working Group, will also be done when appropriate."
http://www.w3.org/2007/03/HTML-WG-charter.html#wai