Hi Bob,

Excellent question and I am sure you are going to receive many different
answers which may confuse the matter more!!

>From my point of view I would suggest any decorative images should be styled
as CSS background images, granted this brings with it the issue of losing
it's place within the document and it becomes very hard when working with a
CMS to allow a user to have varying heights.  However, there are ways around
this.  My reasoning behind this is purely based on the fact that if an image
has no semantic meaning to a page it shouldn't exist on the page.

With regards to your logo question, I am of the belief a logo should have
alt text as this is probably the most important thing about a page, it
indicates to the user who is providing the information and they can
determine from that whether or not it is a trusted source.

Jamie.