Hi Lars,

> A. <li value="3"> is not allowed in strict HTML 4/XHTML 1.0, Spec says
> "use CSS".
>
> B. I want to start at 3.
>
> C: CSS has no means to specify a start value!

> But regardless of whom I should blame there is a problem to solve. I
> would like to know which solution that you would use and why.

there do exist counters in CSS, see

  http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/generate.html#counters

but, as you might have guessed, they are not supported by Internet Explorer.

As you already observed, list counters are rather content than
presentation, so either CSS or JavaScript are somewhat questionable
for achieving your aim.

So personally, I would either ignore the validation problem or use a
customized DTD.

I prepared a short example at http://lairx.de/071011/numbering-lists.html

It uses an extended DTD, where the VALUE attribute for the LI element
and the START attribute for the OL element have been added.
Furthermore a CSS example using automatic numbering is provided.

Cheers,

jens
--
Jens Brueckmann