Going back to the original post:

>Pick your poison:
>
>1. Invalid code
>2. Use a transitional DOCTYPE
>3. Set value with DOM-script

I'm surprised that no one has said #2; just fall back to a transitional
doctype. You can still write your markup with standards in mind, use the
deprecated attribute, *and* validate without any scripting etc.

This is exactly what I did a couple of years ago when redesigning a site. I
created the templates in XHTML 1.0 Strict, but due to a ton of legacy data
concerns just changed the doctype to HTML 4.0 Trans and all was well.

Of course, you may have production issues that prevent the Transitional
doctype, in which case I'd go with the invalid.

~ Tim
tjameswhite.com'>http://www.tjameswhite.com";>tjameswhite.com