There is really no hard and fast rule that states all presentational
images should be background images, there are plenty of situations
where is is not practical or inappropriate, as others have stated  if
an images is purely for presentation than an empty alt attribute
(alt="") is appropriate.

Not all content images require alt text in the alt attribute, if the
surrounding content provides the relevant alternative text than an
empty alt attribute is appropriate.

Here is a good article on the appropriate use of alt text.
http://www.webaim.org/techniques/alttext/

- Mel