Georg, thank you so much!

IE6 displayed correctly except the header problem I wrote. I did a lot of tweaking in the main stylesheet after my post , and didn't get to check on IE6. You saw the 'wrong version' :), but I notice the header's reloads disappered now the right column sits below the left. this makes me rethink maybe the mini-cart that has negative margin top causing (I ruled this out before), or the "auto-expansion".

Thanks for the advice on hasLayout tricks. I will give it more thought next time I tempt to use again.

A fixed-width approach will _just work_ in all browsers, and make it
much easier to get IE6 to behave like a browser.

I need to accommodate 800px screen for a very specific reason, but this layout doesn't look good (especially in product page) in 800px.

tee