David wrote:

All the disclaimers make it difficult to review.

All I wanted  to avoid  with those disclaimers was:
1. You should of used shorthand properties to save space in layout.css (I
know, it was the quick and dirty fix)
2. Felix to remind me that not everybody has a default font size of 16px

You are relatively alright in IE7.0. In all browsers, the page is a
> little reluctant to be dragged from a full to narrower window but
> recovers: but perhaps a little less so in Mac Opera/9.24.

My main problem was with Mac Opera/9.23 when the top line of links
overlaying itself. No idea why it was the simplest part of the layout in
terms of HTML & CSS.

I think I understand one of the issues with window dragging and resizing,
the whole slow to load below the header issue.

Did the footer centre in IE7?

I am not happy with the centring of the footer, it was part of the original
design concept, but with rest of the design restricted to a tight grid, it
is out of whack. Plus I had to use 3 different different techniques to
centre a floating list that does not have a fixed width.
For Opera and Safari it was using a container div
For FF is was display: table; for the UL
and for IE (well at least 6 and below) a little bit of js.

Any better technique would be appreciated.

I have a little trouble (personal opinion) with navigation that is
> larger than content text,

That is useful feedback, I was feeling uncomfortable about the different
size text in the top nav bar and the side nav bar. Another opinion is always
good, it will change.

and content text that is set larger than default.

I set my content text size in strange way. I work out the size of the area
to be filled with text. Work out the maximum line length that is comfortable
to read (somewhere between 2 and 3 alphabets 50-80 characters ) And then
adjust the fontsize to the content text is most readable.

So with an elastic design, the main content area tends to be about 40ems.
And then stretch the design to fit the window.

I am interested in what other people believe how default content size should
be set?

Should we follow the most common behaviour and set it to 75%, 12px, 81%,
13px or something else?

--
Nick Cowie
http://nickcowie.com