Nick Cowie wrote:
David wrote:

All the disclaimers make it difficult to review.

All I wanted  to avoid  with those disclaimers was:
1. You should of used shorthand properties to save space in layout.css (I know, it was the quick and dirty fix)
2. Felix to remind me that not everybody has a default font size of 16px

    You are relatively alright in IE7.0. In all browsers, the page is a
    little reluctant to be dragged from a full to narrower window but
    recovers: but perhaps a little less so in Mac Opera/9.24.

My main problem was with Mac Opera/9.23 when the top line of links overlaying itself. No idea why it was the simplest part of the layout in terms of HTML & CSS.

I think I understand one of the issues with window dragging and resizing, the whole slow to load below the header issue.

Did the footer centre in IE7?

I am not happy with the centring of the footer, it was part of the original design concept, but with rest of the design restricted to a tight grid, it is out of whack. Plus I had to use 3 different different techniques to centre a floating list that does not have a fixed width.
For Opera and Safari it was using a container div
For FF is was display: table; for the UL
and for IE (well at least 6 and below) a little bit of js.

Any better technique would be appreciated.

    I have a little trouble (personal opinion) with navigation that is
larger than content text,

That is useful feedback, I was feeling uncomfortable about the different size text in the top nav bar and the side nav bar. Another opinion is always good, it will change.

    and content text that is set larger than default.

I set my content text size in strange way. I work out the size of the area to be filled with text. Work out the maximum line length that is comfortable to read (somewhere between 2 and 3 alphabets 50-80 characters ) And then adjust the fontsize to the content text is most readable.

So with an elastic design, the main content area tends to be about 40ems. And then stretch the design to fit the window.

I am interested in what other people believe how default content size should be set?

Should we follow the most common behaviour and set it to 75%, 12px, 81%, 13px or something else?

Nick,

I am not sure how, or if to even try, to answer your specific questions. My approach is holistic. You are asking questions that may be best answered by someone approaching solutions in a linear manner. And there ain't nothing wrong in that.

The basis for a successful page, in my opinion, is to begin with a stable, robust, cross-browser reliable layout (this is one such layout [1] ). The next step is to attempt not to violate that layout with what is put inside it. You might say it is a matter of "keeping it simple" (a principle I often forget myself).

The basis for typography is simply to make content readable. But what that means, and how to achieve it on the Web, is debatable at best. FWIW, I prefer to set default on the body in percent and to use percent thereafter on individual selectors as deemed necessary (and allowing the primary content p to inherit default from the body declaration)

body {font: 100% sans-serif; }
#primary-content p {inherits default from the body declaration}
#secondary-content p {font-size: 95%;}
#tertiary-content p {font-size: 90%;}
and so on...

I guess the best we can do is to share our experiences. I am sure others on the list will have valid suggestions as well.

[1] <http://www.alistapart.com/articles/negativemargins>

Best wishes for your success in whatever way you may see fit to go...

~dL

--
http://chelseacreekstudio.com/