>On 2/11/07 (12:36) Tom said:
>
>>Another question though... do you have an example of proper, semantic
>>use of <strong> vs <b>? Is it just just a tag to allow you to style
>>your own visual emphasis? How about <strong> vs. <em> - what's the
>>semantic difference?

Rick actually provides a great example in his response. I've marked up his
sentence below:
<q>
The word (probably) does not require any semantic emphasis per se -- ie.
you are not giving it any enhanced meaning -- and so you would not use the
to make
it render in italics.
</q>

I've added <strong> </strong> around DO. You can see that he is emphasizing a
point there, so the markup <em>should</em> reflect that. [Even more emphasis
for you.]

In other words, listen to the way you speak. You can hear when you add
emphasis, or really strong emphasis, to what you are saying. In HTML, those
word(s) would get wrapped in <em> or <strong>

As for <b> and <i>, well, I don't use them. They have no semantics per se, just
visual effect. If I need something bolded or italicized I
1) see what element it is already in
2) look to see if there is an appropriate HTML element I could add
3) If 1 and 2 fail, I'll use a <span class=""> with a semantically rich class
name. (Or at least I try to make it semantically meaningful : )

Hope that helps.

~ Tim
tjameswhite.com'>http://www.tjameswhite.com";>tjameswhite.com