I'm in a similar position and recently bought the "Simply JavaScript" book
from SitePoint... it's easy to understand and all the books I've seen of
theirs in the past have been up to date and use the latest standards so I
presume I'm learning the correct way as apposed to following out of date and
bad practice tutorials online.

http://www.sitepoint.com/books/javascript1/?SID=8a6e5ef267535b16d9b4f5c5b54a008d

Hope that helps.

Dave