On 12/3/07, Philippe Wittenbergh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > If, in laymans terms, font-size-adjust allows you to specify the
> > font-size based on the x-height of a preferred font-family, how is a
> > rendering engine supposed to deal with this if said font is missing?
My thinking was way off here - I was thinking that somehow only the
bowl was adjusted. Strange but true.

I can see now how handy this property could be.

Pretty good explanation at
http://www.quackit.com/css/properties/css_font-size-adjust.cfm:

...if 12px Georgia (with an aspect value of 0.50) was unavailable and
an available font had an aspect value of 0.40, the font-size of the
substitute would be 12 * (0.50/0.40) = 15px.

kind regards
Terrence Wood.