Delivering their OSes with half a dozen pre-installed standard-compliant alternatives to IE/win isn't a
technical problem, so why not?

I'm no lawyer and I'm also no MS fanboy, but I think 'why?' is as equally a valid question as 'why not?'.

My latest computer with Vista came pre-intalled with Windows Mail, Windows Media Player, Microsoft Works and Roxio CD Creator (this one may be more of an HP choice than MS); should I also expect my system to be preinstalled with Eudora/Thunderbird/Lotus Note, RealPlayer/Quicktime, OpenOffice and Nero? Is it reasonable for any OS vendor to have to install any more than one type of any application? For the less savvy users, having more than one option may actually make things more difficult for them.

Surely it's any manufacturer's right to choose what components they use in their own product (as long as there aren't health and safety concerns involved)?

--
Tyssen Design
www.tyssendesign.com.au