This might be a stupid question, but why can't you just style your form
submit buttons to look like links using CSS?
-------------------------

Primarily because some browsers don't support styling of inputs very
well, but also because I need to add a span in for styling the
links/inputs as tabs. If I do this in a browser that doesn't support
styling of inputs (Safari for example) then I end up with the span still
displaying the left edge of the tab and then a normal submit button.

I also don't want to use the Button tag due to its incorrect behaviour
in IE (http://www.peterbe.com/plog/button-tag-in-IE)

Whilst this method is relatively long winded, it delivers the result I
want across our supported browsers effectively and degrades to an
acceptable form in the absence of JavaScript (inputs displayed instead
of tabs)

Hope that makes some sense of my madness