Man I so agree this!

I had a client once, selling small bags and jewellery. She wanted it impossible to save her pictures of products as she "heard it could be done" and we were being lax by not doing it. She was afraid of seeing knockoffs in china. Completely forgetting that the bootleggers would simply buy a few in order to copy them....

She didn't understand that the files were already copied onto the viewers computer and if a nasty copyright-infringing Hong Kong company wanted a copy of her items all they had to do was look, Removing copy and print functionality just made the site worse for the rest of her customers (you know, the ones you want to be happy so they'll spend more!).

We eventually dropped her (mad as a hatter for many other reasons!) but if your client doesn't want their content read it shouldn't be on the web. ANy other protection problem, once hacked (and it will be hacked!) will simply mean you don't trust your viewers, visitors, etc... and in turn they won't like you either. Not the sort of relationship you want to foster.

Why not simply make people register for it? Then you have their details and if you make the registration process intelligent, they will be aware they are being tracked and more likely to behave. All sorts of benefits and if the discussion forum is inside there as well then you can even claim some web 2.0-ness as an added benefit of registration!

Shops have cameras and security guards to make the fact that we are being observed in their premises as unobtrusive as possible yet still allow some semblance of security and deterrent. We accept this as long as the guards aren't right in our pockets and the cameras are hidden in corners and in the ceiling.

Joe