But why?
everyone knows about the back button, don't they? So you don't really need to help them. And if the previous site was yours and you want to see if they went from your site A to your site B then you could probably do this with sessions or by passing a variable forward through the link using a server-side language like ASP or PHP.

If all you want to do is allow them to go back to where they were before they came to you, tell them about the back button in their browser.

One option is to set up Google Analytics on the site, so you can see the referrers without any messy coding, otherwise, it's really none of your business is it?

You could create a function on all of your pages that, if they have never been there before and don't have your cookie, to ask them where they came from and show them their back button, but really, it isn't any of your business.

So I suppose the web Standards part of this question is about polite behaviour?

Joe