The first question I'd ask is why not just use check boxes instead of trying
to replicate them? If you mark them up correctly then there's really no
better accessible method than using the correct element as it was meant.

If you go down this route then you're likely to create all kinds of problems
for yourself... what happens when users don't have css available (mobile
devices), images disabled (dialup users) or are using screenreaders.

If you want to change the appearance then I'd use JavaScript to enhance the
existing check boxes but for those user agents that don't support JavaScript
or have it disabled you should have the fall back of regular forms.

Hope that helps.

- - - - -
http://www.dave-woods.co.uk