Hello,

I have a situation where there are links to download additional documents from a page (word/pdf/etc) and the boss has requested that we force the user to download them, since the user (in his opinion) may have trouble printing/saving the documents if they open up inside the browser (which happens on some user's machines)

Now, I understand that - upon clicking one of those links - that different things will happen for different users, either getting a prompt to open/save, or opening automatically in the application, or opening automatically within the browser. And I also know how to set the server to send additional headers to force a download.

Should we be making this decision for the user though? If, by default, PDFs open within the browser, then won't we be changing their user experience by forcing them to open/save?

Regards,

Tony