On 28 Jan 2008, at 23:22, Andrew Freedman wrote:
I see this warning often when using the W3C validator and figured I must be doing something wrong, but as it is a warning I never bothered looking into it.

Now I've seen it on the results from this site so it has roused my curiosity.

Can some explain to me why this is occurring and how it is overcome.

URLs make things easier to debug, but most likely you are serving a document that:

(a) Is XHTML
(b) As text/html
(c) Is not a version of XHTML that may be served as text/html (i.e. XHTML 1.0)

It is generally best to just stick to HTML 4.01.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/