thanks elizabeth.  the article was helpful.  here's my situation.  the image
that i am using is a link to the longdesc.  the title text under the image
links to a larger version of the image.  now let's ask the standards
compliant question.

with text in the content specifying the difference between clicking the
image and where it goes and clicking the text and where it goes, would that
be standards acceptable?  as i read the code, i don't see a problem with
screen readers, which is the target audience for this technique.
dwain