Instead of that, you could just use a CSS hack. Something like:
#background_div {
   background-image: url(background.png);
}

* html #background_div {
   background-image: url(background.gif);
}

The * html will make it so only only versions of IE will look at it (<IE6), while modern browsers remain unaffected. Also, I'm fairly certain this will prevent the background.gif image from being loaded in modern browsers, since it isn't needed.

kevin mcmonagle wrote:
Hi,
Whats the standards way to handle or degrade ie6 png support for a repeating background img? Im having problems solving this-ies4mac doesn't seem to do well with conditional comments and png hacks-so i cant tell whats working.

Im thinking about putting the wrapper div with the repeating background image in two different stylesheets. One with a png for normal browsers and one with a gif for ie then i would just hide the png from ie6 and give it the gif one with conditional comments.

Also if anyone can email me a screen shot from ie6 off list that would be great.

beta page:

http://www.arasgcc.com/indextest.html

-thanks
kevin