> What about using a fieldset with *legend* if the required fields can be
>  grouped together.
>  Because the legend (required fields) would be read aloud before each label.

I thought about this, but I think it makes more sense to have related
elements grouped together and in most cases not all of these will be
required.

For example, many forms ask for personal details such as addresses,
phone numbers, work details etc. Not all will be mandatory, but it
definately makes sense to group these together.

I think it might be a little confusing to enter in details out of
order, especially if the form is broken over several pages (have I
already entered this information?).

Cheers,

Matt