Does anyone have a preferred way to view and validate generated source code? By generated source I mean after Ajax, JavaScript, and so on have done their magic.

I'm asking because I'm working on a web application for browsing network devices (close to 9000 routers, switches, WAPs, etc.) that relies on JavaScript (some homemade JS, jQuery, Ajax and JSON) to build virtually all the XHTML. Yet, when I view source via the debug "inspect element" feature in the latest release of Safari or using Pederick's web developer Firefox add-on, closed tags become unclosed. For example:

Becomes:

Yet viewing generated source in Firebug, that same meta tag remains closed. Firebug, however, doesn't have (or I haven't noticed?) a way to copy and paste source code for direct input validation to the W3C validator. This, then, is the ultimate goal: to get the generated source, copy it and paste it into a validator. I validated with static mockups prior to de-building the XHTML and giving it over to JavaScript, but I want to validate now to make sure I'm staying on track.

Have others run into this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Jody

--