Thanks, Paul, for the suggestion.

Doctype, I don't think, is the issue. The doctype is set in the static XHTML that the Ajax builds on as XHTML strict. However, most generated source views remove the doctype, a phenomenon I asked about here: http://ask.metafilter.com/84314/Where-does-the-DTD-go .

The W3C validator lets you re-declare a doctype if one is missing, http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input+with_options , but even using that option, many of my tags are still already unclosed from the generated source view.

-jody