On 2008/02/23 18:14 (GMT-0800) Hayden's Harness Attachment apparently typed:

> I have Windows Vista Home Premium and use 96 DPI. I am told repeteated ly
> that my fonts are to large.

Probably you should offer example URLs of pages about which that complaint is
made.

> I have even tried "font-size: 80%;" in my CSS
> and still get told the fonts are to large.

All pages on which such CSS is used produces too small text in my browsers.

> I know you are not able to
> overide a person's preferences. can I do something in CSS to change the
> default DPI and/or font-size? And then create different CSS files to
> increase the DPI and/or font-sizes?

Real DPI is a function of the combination of display size, and the actual
resolution used. Windows defaults to (assumes) 96 DPI regardless of display
size or resolution, but in recent years the manufacturers have been
presetting their higher resolution Windows models with a just as arbitrary
120 instead of 96. The upshot is there is nothing about DPI that you can or
should want to do anything about, except for the displays you have physical
control over.

The best thing you can do when anyone complains about text size in your web
pages is  point out that their browser defaults can be adjusted so suit their
tastes, and explain that there are too many possible variations on local
environments for you to assume anything other than a 100% of default text
size base for your pages makes any logical sense.

Those using modern browsers have a feature that enables visitors to select
from among optional stylesheets, so you do have the means to cater to users
who can't be bothered to suitably adjust their own environments to suit their
own needs. Whether you can justify spending the time to use that function
only you can answer, but if you use a lot of low contrast, wild colors, or
small text, it's probably a really good idea to include alternative
stylesheets with more conservative colors and/or other text size options.
--
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one
and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409