I think you are both getting confused here - a reference implementation
of HTML is an actual HTML page. The validator is useful, but since it
has no direct link to the spec, it is technically no better than any of
the browsers.
Compare with Tomcat, which is the reference implementation of the
servlet engine spec, and allows you to test servlets.  What is needed
here is actually a browser specification, and consequently a browser
reference implementation, against which it is possible to test HTML /
CSS / DOM
Clearly this is a massive task though, and requires a major effort,
whether or not it is based on an existing browser.
Compare also with XML, where the DTD is the specification of validity.
The DTD can (on occasion) be read by software, and contains (almost) no
ambiguity. (I'm not advocating XHTML here, by the way, as it stands
right now - I think it was a missed, but certainly a failed,
opportunity.)

>"Enough ugly hacks. 8 billion existing web pages be damned."
>
>The fact that those 8 billion pages actually work fine in all
>other browsers, who all seem to have managed to agree on an
>interpretation of CSS/DOM by working together, ironing out
>test cases, etc, doesn't matter? Are MS joining the party?

Excuse me, but exactly how many of those 8 billion pages do you reckon
work correctly at the moment? In _all_ browsers released this century?
Including assistive technology?
(I am sure I must be mis-understanding your point here - so could you
please elaborate?)

Regards,
Mike