I've used conditional comments to serve tweak CSS files to older IE versions. When I tested IE8 on my sites they all looked fine and I didn't have to add a separate CSS file for it. That's quite a good sign for a beta version. (I'm using strict mode here so it triggered IE8's superstandard mode.)

However, there is no way to make sure it'll work with IE8 now, as it's still in beta. You'd have to wait until the RC builds before you can be even close to that.

Provided your CC doesn't feed IE8 with fixes intended for IE5, 6 or 7 I think you should be fine. If your client demands you're 100% sure it'll work fine then your client is being very unresonable as the product is still under heavy development.

----- Original Message ----- From: "tee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 11:52 AM
Subject: [WSG] premature to test/worry new site for IE8?

I am about to start coding for a new site, and client asked me to make sure my code will work for IE8, meaning when IE 8 comes out, she doesn't need to pay me extra to fix any problem that may occur in IE 8. Client is from a web media company, though I understand her concerns and that she has to answer to her client, but I just don't know how or if I should commit to such 'expectation'.

Last time with IE 7, there was no problem and none of the sites I coded for her break when IE 7 came out. I think this version targeting thing really got people worry.

Say, I code my CSS with best practice just like I'd always do, and treat IE browsers with CC should it be needed. Do I need to worry anything with IE8? It didn't occur to me to worry anything at all until client was making this request.

Thanks!

tee