In addition to using the dictionary, it's worth looking up how W3C uses the terms in relationship with the specs. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt

While MUST and MUST NOT would be more handy, reality is grey sometimes and does depend on the interpretation of the author. The biggest problem however is that most authors never read the specs.

----- Original Message ----- From: "tee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2008 2:20 AM
Subject: Re: [WSG] Fieldsets outside of forms. Was: Safari 3.1 and webkit-border-radius

Perhaps it will help the web standards if W3C to be more authoritative and dictatorial?

"MUST NOT", "MUST", "ABSOLUTELY NOT", "ILLEGAL TO USE", "NOT ALLOWED"

to replace these ambiguous "MAY NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT".

This way, it makes no wrong suggestion to people who are not English tongue and who needs to depend on English dictionary to understand the spec - I am speaking of me :-)

tee

Keryx's point of view seems to be dominant, I fear. Even the teacher
at my web design class seems to think that using EMs to style  citations
is valid. Yet she generally encourages web standards...   :(

Cordially,
David