I agree. imho, if an author has time/budget/knowledge to support NN4, then why
not?

Dwain,
If you target only NN4 and no other old browsers, then you could use JavaScript
to sniff for DOM support and plug a LINK element.
For example, you could use something like this:

if (!document.getElementById) document.write('<link rel="stylesheet"
type="text/css" href="/css/v4.css" />');

Then you use the media "hack" (as Russ suggested) or "@import" to prevent NN4
from reading your other sheets (for "modern browsers").

Note that NN4 does not apply styles without JS support, so using JS to plug the
styles sheet is OK in this case.

On the other hand, I wonder how many NN4 users browse the Web with JS on as
there are so many scripts out there that are not "old browsers" friendly...

--
Regards,
Thierry | http://www.TJKDesign.com