>2. Aside from it's semantic nature, is there really any "functional" use >
> for
> formatting data using microformats? I mean, if your format various content
> using microformat "standards" - as they currently exist - is this
> information then usable/parse-able on different devices? Or is the use of
> microformats simply an effort to make specific content blocks (content
> details, calendars, etc.) semantically coherent in html documents?

Check out the Firefox plugins
"Operator" - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4106
and "Tails" - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2240

It looks like some native support for microformats may be coming soon to
Firefox
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Using_microformats

and also IE8,
though they seem to be creating their own variation - "Webslices" which
appears to be a wrapper around hAtom -
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/ie8/webslices.mspx

There are also some online services to do conversions
(such as X2V - http://suda.co.uk/projects/X2V/ )

Check out the "implementations" pages on the microformats.org wiki for other
implementations - eg: http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-implementations