William Donovan wrote:
Hi all,

I wanted to ask a question of better practice and current standards view.

Is it better to have a header and footer stretch across the width of the
browser window or be restricted to the width of the defined. left aligned
content area. Leaving lots of vacant white space for people with wider screen
resolution.

(the question arises as people are becoming concerned about laptop users with
1600 pixel wide computer screens)

and if it is to be restricted in width, should the styling restriction be
applied to the body tag?

Thank
William

This, to me, sounds like a design decision and doesn't seem related to web standards at all.

Review your targeted viewers, and assess your design and usability in whatever environments your viewers will be using

Chris