Am looking for an intuitive and elegant example of a password field with an strength indicator that updates as you type each character.

I've seen plenty around, and off the top of my head I quite like Google's* (although I'd say it should show small amount of red graph to begin with, portraying instantly that the line is a strength indicator).
* https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount

Can anyone let me know if there's one they feel is significantly better than that? I'm keen for one that is compact. Some are over the top and make the user have to think an unnecessarily extra amount.

For instance, this MSN one contains intuitive elements but is cluttered with too much instruction.
https://accountservices.passport.net/reg.srf?roid=2&sl=1&vv=400&lc=1033

Sigurd Magnusson,
SilverStripe