Hi Michael,
If I recall / understood correctly, the opening of a new browser window
was seen by the W3C as functionality and therefore consigned to
scripting.

As for web standards prohibiting opening of new windows, this AA
requirement is a little ambiguous for my taste:
10.1 Until user agents allow users to turn off spawned windows, do not
cause pop-ups or other windows to appear and do not change the current
window without informing the user.

The WCAG Samuari Errata states:

Do not cause pop-ups or other windows to appear and do not change the
current window without informing the user.

    * Plain text is the strongly preferred method of informing the user.
Use of any other method must be reserved for cases where plain text is
unreasonably difficult or impossible.
    * The title attribute on a hyperlink <a> element can suffice in the
unique case of legacy pages that are unreasonably difficult to update.
It is not sufficient in newly-created pages or other circumstances.

This shows more clearly shows that opening new windows is not deemed
illegal. However, it gives little indication as to when it is acceptable
to open a new window.
Jackob Neilsen rates it in his top 10 design mistakes
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9605.html

This one talks about opening non html docs in a new window:
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/open_new_windows.html

Ant