On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 10:51:02 +0100, Rob Enslin wrote:
> I've recently built a website trying to move towards more standards-compliant
> code.
> After the delight at pushing the site live my world 'caved in' (a little
> over-dramatic
> maybe) this morning when a colleague noticed rogue 'ls." text some way down
> the home
> page.
>
> Live site: http://www.londoncalling2008.com
> Screen-grab in IE6: http://www.flickr.com/photos/doos/2384241027/

[...]
> Could anyone find an explanation for this?

>> On 03/04/2008, Ted Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I think that you should read through the documents on positioniseverything a
>> bit closer. It's not just the comments.
>>
>> Removing comments from source code is a really bad idea for best practices.
>> Other people may have to work on your site >> and it's a pain to
>> reverse-engineer code. Use native commenting, i.e. /**/ in php, to avoid
>> placing comments in the final >> source code. But don't treat comments as a
>> problem generator.

I agree with Ted here. If you butt the comments up against the closing
tags, there is usually no problem. At least, _I_ have not come across a
situation that triggers duplicate characters when this is done.

Example:

[strong]However[/strong] - the example that Georg posted seems to
have no intervening space either. So I may be all wet here.

Cordially,
David