On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 12:11 AM, David Hucklesby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Kristine Cummins
>  > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >
>  >> Can someone tell me how to fix this W3C warning – I'm new to
> understanding this part.
>  >> <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beverlywilson.com%2F>
>  >>

>  On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 20:15:19 -0400, Nikita The Spider replied:
>  > Kristine,
>  > If your server is already specifying the character set (a.k.a. encoding)
> then you don't
>  > need to do so in your HTML. In fact, I'd recommend against doing so, ...
>
>  The META tag is needed when serving the page from the hard drive -
>  for example, when the page is saved for viewing later. (The hard drive
>  does not send HTTP headers.)

That's a good point that I should have mentioned, and I'm glad you
brought it up. However, IMO this need is often overstated. Browsers
are pretty good at guessing the encoding when they need to. I wouldn't
rely on browsers guessing correctly for public pages, but I think the
clutter of having duplicate encoding declarations usually outweighs
the benefit.

Of course, ideally one looks at one's pages using a local Web server.
I think Windows & Linux come with one preinstalled and I know that OS
X does, so this should be within the reach of most folks.

Cheers

--
Philip
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/