Jens,

I recommend googling CSS Frameworks.

Also, I recommend looking at a site I implemented a CSS framework of
my own. It sounds very very much like your approach.

http://www.athletics.com.au

It works on the concept of layers that can be used to progressively
enhance the visual appearance of a given HTML document set. Its
actually the base css framework for a content management solution
developed by a company called Datalink here in Melbourne, my previous
job. Being part of a CMS, it has a few additional layers to further
customise the site with respect to customer requirement. Similarly, I
used namespacing to separate styles that are part of the base
framework with styles that are customer specific.

The beauty of the framework is that it is consistent and easy to
learn. The idea being that the framework remained unchanged, and only
theme and customer specifc stylesheets affected the cascade. Another
added benefit was in knowing which sheet a specific style resides in.
This was extremely helpful before the likes of Firebug.

The only real draw back of this approach is the initial page load.
There is an overhead in downloading so many different stylesheets. The
best thing to do in this case is to compile your stylesheets into a
single build. This is the approach we are applying at my current job
here at SitePoint.

Good luck with your own framework! :)

Karl