libraries, government organizations, military, and other large organizations have locked down computers that don't allow installation of fire fox. They also have purpose built web applications that only run in IE6 that are critical for their day to day jobs.

That is a major reason for the large ie6 userbase still. This is also why microsoft keeps saying they can't break stuff by upgrading to full standards support. This is why ie8 is causing issues and has the option of rendering a page in the older manner.

So, if you are building a web site for your portfolio and don't need to worry about those organizations, feel free to add your firefox only link. If, on the other hand, you are building a site with a mass audience, IE6 is still on the horizon.

ted

Krystian - Sunlust wrote:
IE5 ?
Each time I hear about IE5 I want to laugh, honestly, IE6 is old, and
most companies that actually create revenue in our modern times use
Vista and IE7, who would worry/use IE5?
My friend who I just finished designing website for is using IE6 but
his computer is like 2-3 years old, what kind of a company uses that
old hardware ??

Anyway, end with the rant, in my opinion there should be some strong
compaign to cut the usage of IE5 and IE6 because it's just silly to
try to develop modern websites in our "web 2.0" world for those
useless browsers.
It's like trying to design new aeroplanes and test them with steam
engines instead of jet ones.

Get a grip, for old browsers theres only one kind of a website I would
create: "Click this button to download Firefox".

Regards,