> The most common separator used in such circumstances ... is the
vertical bar...whilst it is quite "wordy"

That's the reason why I've started *not* to use it anymore. I'm using
borders instead and add the class "last" to the last list element to
apply no borders at all.

Whilst a border is slightly higher than a vertical bar it avoids
screenreaders to go

"home vertical bar latest posts vertical bar contact us vertical bar
sitemap vertical bar ...."

Cheers,

Jens

The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files is
or may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or any
attached files is unauthorised. This e-mail is subject to copyright. No part of
it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written consent of
the copyright owner. If you have received this e-mail in error please advise
the sender immediately by return e-mail or telephone and delete all copies.
Fairfax does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information
contained in this e-mail or attached files. Internet communications are not
secure, therefore Fairfax does not accept legal responsibility for the contents
of this message or attached files.