Korny Sietsma wrote:
I'd be interested in the thoughts of folks here.  A simple template
would have the advantage of (possibly) working well in css editors and
tools; but there also seems to be some buzz around tools like Sass
that take some more repetition out of the CSS.

Is SASS a standard? Nope. Will it work without HAML? Nope.

Then my thought would be that it's going to have issues somewhere (I'm not familiar with it beyond a quick skim of the link you provided plus a glance at Wikipedia so I can't say where exactly)

Or is there something else we should look at?  Really, mostly we are
just looking for ways to avoid too much repetition - it'd be good to
avoid endlessly repeating colour codes and font sizes all over the
place, when we have a server-side language available that could build
our css for us.

Ummmm, I don't think you've fully grasped the nature of CSS, which is designed specifically NOT to have you "endlessly repeating colour codes and font sizes all over the place" by declaring the styles as classes and using IDs to determine where to apply those classes.

Anything that's generated server-side is going to send unnecessary overhead down to the browser. Letting the browser do the parsing and rendering (which is what it has a rendering engine for) seems much more sensible.

Additionally, if you're not supplying properly formatted CSS, but something preformatted at the server, how is the browser going to understand it? How are assistive technologies going to understand it?

I may be missing something here but SASS has the feeling of a solution looking for a problem, or a programmer wanting to get his credit for adding something to RoR (which is the tech du jour). That's probably unfair, but I've been doing accessibility testing all day and I'm kinda grouchy

mark