"I like the idea of a title tag being used i.e.- <a
href="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]" title="e-mail address -
[EMAIL PROTECTED]">first name last name</a>"

I don't know what you would gain by this.... Any bots harvesting email
addresses will just pick up on the address in the href.

Unfortunately, I think the only accessible way to do this is to have the
traditional form of email address being used and getting server side
protection from spam. If you don't care about accessibility (though you
wouldn't be on this list!), then use JavaScript to cut down on spam, but
I am sure that bots will be able to read generated source pretty soon if
they can't already.

James