Thanks for all the tips folks, very useful.

enterprise world that seems to fund much of the IT work done and in my
experience most such organisations are only just now waking up to the
concept and benefits of open source.

My ex-organisation for example tended to code either in ASP or .NET for
small / medium scale or some flavour of Java for portals and heavy
transaction stuff so I had no experience or libraries of PHP.

Upon my excape, pausing only to don my hopelessly optimistic hat I went
looking for a PHP site; something similar to the sites we all use that show
how semantic mark-up should be used; or how good quality CSS can make site
look good.

Even poor old JavaScript thanks to gentlemen ( I use the word carelessly)
like Jeremy Keith are busy helping our communities to play nicely with the
DOM; which left just the "back-end".

The problem is that right now unless we have one or two clearly signposted
places where people can learn to do the right thing, young new programmers
or  even old f***s like me will get what help they can from the net and
libraries, as I am sure you may have noticed such sites, books and courses
are not always of the highest quality.

Ian

(Freelancing with a grin - ex Head Of Web Strategy BT Global Services)