On May 27, 2008, at 3:43 PM, Andrew Freedman wrote:

kate provided the following information on 28/05/2008 5:21 AM:
The alt tag which is'nt really the right discription is really called the attribute tag.
Kate
Patrick H. Lauke also provided the following information on 28/05/2008 5:33 AM:

or...the alt attribute, if you want to correct people...

That's all well and good and I for one thank you for clarifying that but how does that answer Tom's query?

Andrew.

Really! Is there anyone on this list who doesn't understand the distinction between 'tag' and 'attribute'. And does anyone seriously not understand what is meant when reference is made to the 'alt tag', or to HTML 'code' rather than 'markup'?

I would certainly agree that in the context of a lecture on the subject these distinctions are important. But in the context of discussions on this list I think this is taking semantic hair- splitting to unwarranted extremes, especially if, as Andrew points out, it doesn't accompany some effort to respond to the question at hand.

I move that henceforth it should be acceptable here to use 'tag' as shorthand for 'attribute' and 'code' for 'markup'.

Andrew

http://www.andrewmaben.net
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"In a well designed user interface, the user should not need instructions."